Monday, July 12, 2010

Habitual Habit Making & Breaking

I have a bad habit: constantly breaking habits and making habits.

After my wonderful Saturday morning of finding out my weight loss was great for the week and that running is definitely my new love and reason for the ease of this said weight loss, I was bad.

First, nibble nibble nibble. Bad Mess, BAD! Second, I downed maybe a liter of water each day.

I researched on several websites what people consider the optimal time it takes to break a bad (or good!) habit. The longest I saw was six weeks...but it was never less than 28 days, or 4 weeks.

It's been a week of consistency for me. Consistent meals, consistent water intakes, consistent working out. Look at all the the success that brought me! 7 pounds down, better skin, control over my appetite. Then, after my meeting and workout Saturday morning, I boo booed. I added fruits to my diet via a shake...strawberries, a banana, and a cup of almond milk. I had this along with my egg white scramble with feta, spinach, and tomatoes. THEN I skipped lunch. Bad idea.

I was starving by dinner, devoured sushi (albeit, it was low cal sushi), and I sipped a few sips of milkshake from H. The next day was worse...and a rest day to boot. Nibbles here, nibbles there...complete lack of control. And VERY little water. I couldn't break myself out of the slump!!! I was surprised to see I didn't go over my points (and a few extra points I'm allowed a week anyway).

However, I'm up 2 pounds. BAH!!!! Hello, lack of water = water retention.


I've learned my lesson, and I've already downed 2 liters today. I'm also right on track with meals.

This is what I've learned:

I have a habit of trying to get into GOOD habits, and then breaking them.
I have a habit of trying to get out of BAD habits, and then making them. Again.

I have the "Dieter's Syndrome" of doing really well, doing poorly for one meal, and then being bad for an entire day. Hello, time to stop the insanity...it's time to bring the problem to a halt the MOMENT I know it's destroying my efforts. Not "tomorrow".

I have also learned that I need to figure out how to do the following:

Keep with the habits I have during the week. If I'm out during lunch, at least have a snack ready for that time. If I don't keep myself satisfied, I binge or nibble.

I need to have a PLAN. Without a plan, I'm in trouble.

Remove desserts from the house. With them in the house, I go for them. If they're there, they call my name. If they aren't, I don't think about them.

Carry my water bottle with me at all times. No explanation needed.

DO NOT skip meals. Again, no-brainer.

In order for me to get out of the habit of nibbling and into the habit of consistently drinking water...I need at least 30 days.

No comments: