Wednesday, July 7, 2010

When You Let Yourself Free

Do you ever wake up one day and realize you've made the best decision for yourself ever?

Cue this morning. And yesterday morning. And the morning before.

I woke up on July 1st, weighing 209.4 pounds. After the quick consult with my pal Lisa, haha, I decided to hit the points counter. I was extremely scared of counting calories. At this point in my life, I don't have the time to measure, cut, weigh EVERY single morsel of food I put in my mouth. Besides, I knew WW's point system already from a previous 16-pound loss.

I woke up this morning and weighed myself 5 days into the program. 6.4 pounds down. No lie. That's with exercise and eating every last point I'm allowed. (They pick points for your weight, based on a 500 calorie a day deficit. If I'm burning an extra 500 a day, then guess what? That's a 2 pound loss for each week. Easy. PERFECT.)

I'm 2.5 pounds from being lighter than 200 pounds. WHAT!? It's RIGHT there! I can taste it! I can FEEL it! My pants are about to fall off. My shirts are fitting better. My energy is sky-rocketing.

Not only am I feeling great about my food, but I'm LOVING my motivation to run. I've accomplished two 3-mile runs in the past 3 days. I'm feeling the energy it's giving me, my legs are feeling stronger, my form is so much better, and I've increased my pace. I'll be ready for those half marathons next season for sure. I am promising myself some serious promises now.

1. I promise to stop thinking I can't do it. I CAN do it. I HAVE done it. I WILL do it.

2. I promise to remind myself of how much I deserve to be healthy and happy.

3. I promise to live my life in the most carefree, enjoyable way possible. I promise to live life as if I were looking through my girls' eyes.

4. I promise to keep in touch with my close friends and family more. To write love letters to my husband.

5. I promise, more than anything, to be a happy, healthy, energetic example for my children.

I feel like I made a decision that freed me mentally. I happy. I'm excited. I've cut down on my portions in more ways than one: my plate is filled, but the size of the plate is smaller these days. People are right when they say everything is okay in moderation...and that includes the amount of stress you place on yourself to be "Superwoman".

I'm looking forward to weigh-in day on Saturday!

2 comments:

Lisa @ I'm an Okie said...

hugs all around!! This is the Melissa I love to see.

Isabel said...

I promise ...I'm not Superwoman!!!

You sound 'cleansed'. Yay!